Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Fan Mail

I love to get letters from readers. For the most part, I receive email comments through my website and the comments are brief:

"Loved the story!"
"When is your next book coming out?"
"I've written a best-seller, please introduce me to your editor and/or agent."

Occasionally, I get snail mail letters and one in particular stands out. The note said:

"I loved Dating Can Be Deadly. Please send me a spell to put on someone to make them fall in love with me."

The return address was a women's correctional facility.

Now my powers and abilities are somewhat limited. Even though some of my characters may have supernatural powers, I'm not a witch (at least not most of the time). However, if I DID have powers, I'd probably create spells that would:

* clean my house
* make me thinner
* complete my revisions

So tell me, what kind of spells or potions would you like to have? C'mon let your inner witch shine through!

12 comments:

ORION said...

I followed you over from Holly's blog.
A spell?
How about for those people who say,"I've got this great idea for a book..."

Wendy Roberts said...

LOL Orion that is a very common one! Once when I was at a convention I was sitting in a coffee shop writing on my laptop until my next session. This man came up to me and insisted I take his business card and call him because he had a book idea "that would make me rich". Don't know why he had no plans to write it himself ha ha ha.

Holly Kennedy said...

A spell, huh? Mine would involve bum glue, SILENCE for 120 days straight, no need for food, water, bathroom breaks or to change printer cartridge or paper... Just write. Beautifully, of course!!
Wouldn't that be LOVELY?

Wendy Roberts said...

Oh Holly, I hope you cast that spell on me! Perfect :)

Jana DeLeon said...

ooooh, I have #1 covered but definitely sign me up for 2 & 3. And if you could figure out a way to keep my acryllic nails and my roots permanently done, that would save a whole bunch of time also. :)

Wendy Roberts said...

LOL Jana, if I figure out a spell for those I'll let you know. I wouldn't mind a spell to keep my roots magically done but my nails are too far gone, even for magic ha ha.

Therese said...

My inner witch would like a spell to make non-writers know that every author does not get on Oprah...

...that authors prefer to *protect* their agents and editors from those "sure-fire bestseller" offers...

...and that full-time writing IS an actual job.

I love that standout letter you mentioned. It's sweet, somehow.

Wendy Roberts said...

Therese, you mean I'm not going to get on Oprah =:-O Dang! LOL.

You are soooo right that full-time writing _is_ an actual job. I love it but it's the toughest job I've ever had.

Anissa said...

I'm with you on #1, definitely.

I'd really just like to be able to wiggle my nose at little things...people included at times. *wiggle wiggle* and poof* their mouth clamps shut. Nice!

Wendy Roberts said...

Anissa,
Ooooh I'd love the nose wiggle too! Closing mouths, putting things away ... the possibilities are endless!

Therese said...

No, of course *you'll* get on Oprah.

I meant the rest of us. ;-)

Wendy Roberts said...

Therese, you crack me up he he.