Monday, February 12, 2007
Matters of the Heart
Everywhere I go these last couple weeks I've seen pink heart decorations. Sometimes it's difficult to remember that the human heart is really not very pretty. It's kind of ugly actually.
Here are some interesting facts about our hearts:
* The heart is fatigue resistant
* It contracts about 70 times a minute, 100,000 times a day and that's about two and a half billion times a lifetime
* It pumps between 70 ml and 100 ml of blood each beat
* It pumps blood to the lungs, back to the heart, out to the body and back to the heart again in about 23 seconds.
* It is the very first organ to begin functioning during embryonic life
* Blood rushes through your arteries with enough pressure to lift a column of blood five feet into the air.
* The human heart creates enough pressure when it pumps out to your body to squirt blood 30 feet.
So even though it's not exactly a pretty organ, it's still pretty damn amazing. This year, I vowed to exercise more and eat more raw vegetables. That's what I'm doing for my ugly ol' heart. What do you do for yours?
Posted by Wendy Roberts at 9:20 AM