Wednesday, March 26, 2008

I'm in the Mood for Murder

Yesterday I struggled with a love scene. Even though most of my romantic stuff happens 'off the page' there's still a lot that has to show up in writing. I always find it difficult and I tend to become like a frightened teen out on a date.

I'm happy my characters want to have a little hanky panky but truly I'd rather be killing someone. I have writing friends like Nancy Warren who write fabulous love scenes and romantic tension but for me the words always feel awkward. Now, insert Tab A into Slot B ...

So in order to get in the mood to write those kinds of scenes I have to do a little work. I light a fragrant candle and pour a nice glass of Australian Shiraz. The advantage of the wine is that even if the scene is really bad, I don't seem to care until the next morning LOL.

So it's back to the drawing board on this scene. I'll have to drag my characters back to bed even though now, of course, they're more interested in catching a killer.

Are you struggling with anything this week?

5 comments:

Dru said...

Yes, I have to write an analysis on a survey that we conducted. I've been looking at the data for one week and finally I got one bullet point. Like you, I just have to buckle down and get it done.

Wendy Roberts said...

Dru, isn't it a fact that sometimes it's all about just sucking it up! good luck with your analysis.

conley730 said...

Insert tab A into Slot B...LMAO!!! Thanks for the laugh and good luck with your scene.

Jana DeLeon said...

You know - I used to have enormous problems with the love scenes but I've found they're getting easier the more I do. Practice makes perfect????

Chandra Rooney said...

Details! Ok, and marketing trends, but mostly details. :)

I'm with you on the love scenes. Bah, bring on the death!