Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Do you voodoo?


I had a bad day yesterday. Nothing earth shattering. A migraine. A long boring meeting. My kids were fighting. My writing time was limited. Someone ticked me off.

Then I spoke to a friend who was making a voodoo doll. Seriously. Someone had done her wrong at work, really messed her up in a malicious way, but it happened some time ago and she'd never been able to get over it. She thought a small puppet she could stab with pins would make her feel better. Strangely enough, I'd been thinking of voodoo just last week because I'd come across a site that sold cookie voodoo. My friend thought it would be wrong to eat the person who'd wronged you. I suggested she could burn him first. And then maybe throw the cookie out for the crows to peck at.

I remember having a bonfire party with girlfriends after bad breakups and we'd burn up pictures of the guy and maybe his love letters. I guess on some level it's the same thing. Cathartic.

Have you ever felt so wronged by someone that you wanted to stab them with pins and/or symbolically burn them in the oven?

10 comments:

The (Mis)Adventures of a Single City Chick said...

LOL! I have a voodoo doll hanging on my wall in my cubicle at work that I brought home from the French Quarter when National was held in New Orleans several years ago. Although it's just a "souvenir," I'm sorely tempted to make real use of it from time to time. If nothing else, maybe it serves to scare my co-workers into not doing me wrong. ;-)

Christina

Rachel Vincent said...

No, I don't voodoo. But I'm starting to think I should... ;-)

Wendy Roberts said...

Christina, I bet the French Quarter has the BEST voodoo dolls!

Rachel, it's an appealing thought, isn't it!

Erica Orloff said...

My best friend when I was 21 was a call girl who was into Santeria. She took me to her Santeria priest--very other-worldy experience is all I can say. The guy was seriously psychic. No voodoo dolls, but lots of other white magic. For a time I felt a little superstitious about it all.

Now, I work on just letting go. Not always easy. But I work on it. Sometimes I light candles to try to feel peaceful about things.

Wendy Roberts said...

Erica!! Great to 'see' you my ex-RDI sister ;) I agree that letting go is best.

Erica Orloff said...

Hi Wendy:
I love the idea for your new series!! Congrats on it.

I have a November RDI . . . and busy as usual with the chaos of my life. :-)
E

Wendy Roberts said...

Thanks for the congrats! Make sure you remind me closer to November so I can blog about your new RDI :)

Anonymous said...

I usually get over my anger at people pretty quickly, but just a few hours ago I was simmering, once again, over a pretty serious betrayal by a woman I thought was a friend. This happened several years ago, and it still angers me. Maybe voodoo is the answer. Time hasn't helped.

Wendy Roberts said...

booklady, I think betrayal by a friend has to be one of the hardest thing to overcome so HUGS and I hope you can find a way to deal with it. Maybe a voodoo burnt cookie of the ex-friend would help :)

Anonymous said...

No vodoo for me. I am scared of the karma bouncing back.

Generally I find that people reap what they sow. Not always in the timeline I want them to "reap" but eventually. I try to let go & know that the universe has my back.