Monday, January 28, 2008

An unlikely weapon?

Living in the Pacific Northwest pretty much guarantees I own an umbrella. Many actually. Apparently, someone has discovered what my kids have always known...umbrellas can hurt people.

A martial arts academy in Vancouver is teaching a four-hour umbrella self-defence workshop. After spending your $45 it's claimed that "any woman or man will be able to confidently fend off any ruffian or knave who bothers them."

They claim an umbrella is handier than mace or a taser because you don't have to search through your purse to find it. Okay, this guy has obviously looked inside my purse. Small children and animals have been known to fall into my purse abyss never to be seen again.



I think it's obvious you could do damage to someone using either end of this one.



However, this is the type I usually carry and it certainly doesn't look very dangerous.




Now drink umbrellas really are dangerous! I've actually known quite a few people hurt by these. Whenever there is alcohol and pointy things there's bound to be injuries. If you've ever been somewhere with drink umbrellas (or worse those little swords!) you know there's a real possibility someone could lose an eye with these things.

I think a self-defence class is generally a good thing for everyone. Be prepared, like the Boy Scouts say. However, I think there's also a real danger if you're using an umbrella to fend off a mugging by some crack-head armed with a knife. Have you ever had to protect yourself using an unlikely weapon?

Reminder Post: Mention The Remains of the Dead on your blog or site and link the mention back here to me (or to the Amazon page selling Remains) then tell me in the comments that you've done it and you’ll be entered in my Jan. 31st draw for a couple signed copies of Remains plus a mystery gift :)

4 comments:

Spy Scribbler said...

I wouldn't mind having an umbrella at that point. An umbrella in hand is much longer than a knife in hand. The further I am from that knife, the better!

Chandra Rooney said...

I have often thought umbrellas were the greatest weapons of all. Like swords, but they have the dual purpose of keeping off the rain.

My umbrella is compact-ish like yours, but it's spring-loaded for sneak attacks! *G*

Wendy Roberts said...

Spy, you're right that it would help keep that knife away. Good point--pun intended (g)

Chandra, you made me laugh! My spring-loaded umbrella has even tried to attack ME. It would scare the pants of the guy prolly.

B.E. Sanderson said...

LOL, I don't even own an umbrella.

Years ago when I was a salesperson, I had this demo screwdriver thingie. It had handles at each end (better to demonstrate how much better the ergonomic end was from the standard end). I used to keep it under my car seat, so if I ever had someone try to carjack me, I could defend myself. I never had a chance to try the theory out, thank goodness.