Thursday, August 07, 2008

Sherlock Holmes

When I was in London I visited the Sherlock Holmes museum on Baker Street.

Sherlock Holmes (in case you've lived under a rock) is a fictional detective created by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle and, as far as I know, Sherlock is the only fictional character in the world to have a museum dedicated to him. One of the most fascinating things about this museum is the mail box. Sherlock Holmes still receives letters from people asking him to help them solve their mysteries.

Have you ever read any of the Holmes mysteries? I think my personal favorite was The Hound of the Baskervilles.

I'm not a Holmes addict like some and certainly not a member of either the Sherlock Holmes Society, in London, or the Baker Street Irregulars in New York. However, I aspire to create the kind of characters that receive their own mail! Oh to create characters that outlive the author - wow!! It inspires me to write deeper, more genuine characters. I'd love my Sadie Novak to receive letters asking her to help in mysteries!

Well off to breathe life into my own mystery ... the game's afoot!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I haven't read the Holmes mysteries in a long time. But I love Laurie King's Holmes/Russell mysteries and Carole Nelson Douglas's Irene Adler mysteries.

Anonymous said...

I have read the Valley of Fear the title reminded me of something from the "Goosebump" series so it beckoned me to read it. I found the language a bit over done such as "judicious stimulation" and "deprecating voice" I don't like not knowing what the words mean and found myself with a dictionary at hand most of the time.

Unknown said...

I also love King's Holmes and Russell series; they're full of adventure, intelligence, humour, and of course, a good mystery!