Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Poopy Puppies

I've been busy with poop patrol. Housebreaking little Bella is a work in progress but actually she's pretty good. Of course, it's the times when you're most busy and distracted that she'll decide to have an accident. Plus, we're in the middle of a cold snap here in the Pacific Northwest and although she had only one piddle accident in the first three days, she's had a couple more recently. I think it's all about the fact that she's too busy shivering and shaking in the icy cold to actually remember why she's outside!
Speaking about bathroom habits of dogs reminds me of my very first published book, Dating Can Be Deadly. In the book I mentioned an exotic drink called a Poopy Puppy. To make one you mix together Amaretto, Butterscotch schnapps, Kahlua, Bailey's and a splash of Coke and serve it over ice.
If you've got housebreaking tips, share them in the comments.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

She's a cutie-pie!

Wendy Roberts said...

I think so too :)

wend said...

housetraining top tip: ROUTINE!
get up in the morning - take her outside, feed her - take her outside etc...
and don't punish for accidents but praise for good behaviour instead - lots of enthusiasm with the praise - and give her a command for 'going'. My dogs still do a wee when they've been naughty on a walk as they know I tell them 'good girl'! Smart dogs!!
Most of all just enjoy!
The other WR

wend said...

oh, and the best (only) form of punishment for a dog is excluding them from the pack. If she's naughty, ignore her. Being pack animals she wants to be a part of the pack/family more than anything and it will make her think twice!
other WR

Wendy Roberts said...

Thanks for the tips, other WR! This morning I took her out like always and she 'went' then I brought her inside and she went again grrr. I think it's the snow. We don't usually get any and there's lots today :/

Kate said...

At least your poopy puppy doesn't curdle...The other sort does. Pleh.

Tori's right, she is a major cutie-patootie. (And dogs must be demanding extra attention about now. I blogged about mine today too.)

wend said...

Well, she is just a baby and you have to expect some accidents, especially in the cold! But plenty of praise as soon as she does it in the RIGHT place and she'll soon get the idea. It's harder with rescue dogs as they've had longer to get into bad habits and their puddles are bigger!!
If you need any other doggy tips, just let me know....
other WR

Wendy Roberts said...

Kate, you're right about the curdling lol!

WR, I've been praising her lots and it's so cute because her whole body wags back and forth with excitement when she's praised :)

Laura Hamby said...

Awww. Look at the cute puppy! Tip: reward her every time she goes outside and piddles/poos.

Wendy Roberts said...

Laura, thanks for the tip! Maybe I should reward myself too. After all, I'm the one standing outside in the cold begging her to 'go pee'... I think chocolate and a hot toddie are in order lol!

Anonymous said...

All this talk about cold Wendy makes me think you have forgotten about the crazy Winnipeg weather you grew up in. This week it has been -27 with wind chills of -40 my dog Hans spends no time sniffing his favorite thing.

wend said...

I tend to avoid too much in the way of food rewards as they get used to it! (but then so do I!). Dogs just want to please us and be a part of the pack so praise has always worked for me and is handy if you don't happen to have a dog treat in your pocket.
She does look incredibly sweet...
other WR