Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Germs, germs everywhere

We have been struck by a flu bug. Well, probably multiple bugs in various shapes and sizes because not a single person in the family has had the same symptoms.

It all started with a trip to the doctor last week. At that point nobody was sick I just had my 11 year old there to get his regular asthma checkup and renew his meds. The doctor came into the room and asked us if we were there for the flu and I told her no. She was surprised. Apparently everyone she'd seen that day had the flu. Remind me never to go see a doctor and camp out in a waiting room with sickies for half an hour unless I really do have the flu. Ugh!

I was a little slow on the uptake after that visit. I didn't start my campain of vitamin C that I usually force on everyone in the family and I blame my delay on the reason why everyone got sick. Of course had we thought to sterilize our bodies as we left the doc's office, that probably would've helped too. I've had good luck with vitamin c in the past and while I don't believe it'll protect you totally from all those nasty bugs, I do believe it helps shorten your illness if you get sick.

How about you? What are you doing to protect yourself from all the viruses out there? Any echinacea fans?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Doctors' offices are the worst places to be if you're healthy!

I take lots of Vitamin C & E. And when I'm sick, I double it.

Hope you're all feeling better soon!

Wendy Roberts said...

I've never thought much about vitamin E, Tori. Isn't it for skin?

Dru said...

I try to stay away from those who have colds or are sick, but it's rather hard in an enclosed building with no fresh air being pumped in.

If I catch a cold, I'll drink orange juice and Echinacea tea.

I hope everyone is feeling better.

Anonymous said...

Well, I have a wonky immune system, so I take all the vitamins I can. E with C does seem to help. Or maybe I've just convinced myself of it. *g*

B.E. Sanderson said...

Ack! I'm so sorry to hear you got it. My husband is battling the crud, too. (And agent Kristin Nelson, from the sounds of it.) :knock on wood: So far I'm fine here. I don't do much to prevent getting sick, but after I get sick I firebomb the germs with every cure I can get my hands on.

Feel better soon. :hugs:

Anonymous said...

Working in a school I get exposed to alot of germs, I am true believer in green tea, repeated washing of my hands and in between classes when I can't get to a sink I use anti-bacterial jell (which most teachers have on their desks). I also take multi vitamins and omega 3 daily. Hope every one is well soon.