Monday, May 21, 2007

The Joy of Children


This is a long weekend here in Canada because today is Victoria Day. Also, the school deemed it necessary to add on another day to their holiday so the kids will be home tomorrow as well. I have four kids but the thing about having four kids is that they always multiply. Even when one is traded to go and play with a friend, two more neighbor kids will wonder over to replace the one that's gone.

I love having kids. Really. Well, most of the time. But since my kids have all been in school I've revelled in the joy of writing with at least a few hours a day of quiet. This weekend my muse has been vying for my attention big time. There's a scene playing over and over in my head and I can't wait to write it but my kids just won't leave me alone. Instead of writing this weekend I've:

Participated in the Cloverdale Rodeo Parade
Sat through a 3 hour dance recital
Screamed through hour upon hour of a baseball tournament
Prepared 9 meals, 6 snacks and washed 11 loads of laundry.

In addition to all of that, my teen daughter just got braces on Thursday. Now I've never had braces but apparently it's quite painful. For all of us.

So if you're run off your feet busy these days or if your kids are driving you crazy, please share your secrets for sanity. If you're relaxing at a spa somewhere, just keep that to yourself. Don't make me hurt you.

2 comments:

Rachel Vincent said...

Sorry, this is off topic, but...

You're alergic to cats? You poor woman. You know, though...you're probably not alergic to a book about cats. Has Miriam sent you a copy of Stray yet? She made a note of it. If not, you better bug her tomorrow. Starting Wed., she'll be out of the office. ;-)

Wendy Roberts said...

Can't wait to read Stray! Might be quicker for me to go out and buy it LOL. I was hoping to have it read in advance to give you an advance quote so I'll pop an email to Miriam.