Monday, May 14, 2007

What are you saving it for?

"The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation and go to the grave with the song still in them."

Thoreau said this well over a century ago. Every time I read this quote it makes me feel simultaneously determined and sad.

Determined because I want to live my life the best damn way I know how. All of it. I don't want to be at the end wishing I'd done more.

Sad because I know a lot of people go through life being afraid to really try. I think of all those people who've come up to me at readings and signings or those who email me through my web site to say one day they want to write a book. "Do it!" I say. "Don't wait!"

You see, I think every single person should write a book. Don't get me wrong, I don't think all those people should try and publish their work. But the act of writing the story of your heart is a labor of love.

If you've got a story inside you that's waiting to get out, who are you saving it for?

2 comments:

Spy Scribbler said...

You know what, I've been wrestling with a book idea I'm afraid to try. I'm afraid it's too much of a stretch for me to write.

But ... what the hell. I'm gonna go for it, this summer. Why not?

Wendy Roberts said...

Why not, indeed! I'm glad you've decided to write it. A stretch can be a very good thing :)