Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Why do you love what you love?

I love Licorice Allsorts. An entire bag isn't safe in my presence. Nobody else in my house finds them appealing. That's a bonus. Yesterday when I bought a bag it was mine, all mine! Sometimes I need to be in touch with my inner selfish non-sharing child :)

My youngest child just shook his head. "Why do you like them?"

"They taste good," I said, popping one of the round pink ones in my mouth.

That's only partially true. I love them because my dad loves them. I can't see them on the shelf without thinking of my dad. I can't smell or taste them without thinking of my dad. They're sweet but not in a sickening sugary way. Like my dad.

Is there a particular treat that brings back memories for you?

3 comments:

B.E. Sanderson said...

Marzipan reminds me of my dad, but I never developed a taste for it. Chocolate covered cherries remind me of my mom. Licorice reminds me of Christmas at my grandparents house when I was small.

When my parents moved out of the house we all grew up in, they gave a lot of their x-mas ornaments and knick-knacks to us kids. Unpacking the decorations is a walk down memory lane for me - my grandmother's handpainted ornaments, the little carved wooden ornaments my father bought one year at Frankenmuth (which, if you've never heard of it, is a town in Michigan devoted to all things Christmas). We used to go there every year.

Baking cookies brings back memories. Making fudge the same way my mother made fudge my whole life. For me, the whole season brings a flood of reminiscing. =o)

Celeste said...

Canada Mints. I know they taste like pepto, and pepto IS guaranteed to make me puke (thereby feeling better if I actually suck it up and take it), but these candies remind me of going to my great aunt's house. There was always a bowl of them on the end table near the door. My grammy (her sister) died when I was quite little, so she took on the roll of grandmother quite lovingly. Everytime I see a bag of those things, I remember painting knick-knacks with my sister in her little trailer, drinking gingerale, and eating those pink pepto candies. Puts me in the mood for a hug.

I think I'm gonna go buy some and put them in a bowl this holiday season.

Wendy Roberts said...

b.e. and cessie, what beautiful memories!